Reston Area Triathletes RATS.net Logo

Race Result

Racer: Reid Kiser
Race: Reston Triathlon
Date: Sunday, September 7, 2008
Location: Reston, VA
Race Type: Triathlon - International Distance
Age Group: Male 35 - 39
Time: (DNF)
Comment: DNF Take 2

Race Report:

This has been the best year of my triathlon life followed by a miserable two months. BUT, I've enjoyed every bit of it and the wisdom I have gained and the mistakes I continue to learn from.

This is really one and a half race reports building off of a Timberman DNF.

Going into the last few weeks leading up to my first IM in July, I started to develop plantar fascia issues in my right foot. I think the root cause was a drive down and back to Chesapeake VA dealing with bad traffic on I-95 and I-64 and stopping and going and sitting. As someone who works from home I don't drive very frequently and this was an overuse injury that was not even on my radar of concerns for IM training. It's funny when you push the physical limits of your body through exercise, you forget about the day-to-day things that can jeopardize a weakened physical state. Long story short, I pushed through the initial tenderness during the IM and had great success on race day; however, I haven't been able to run since.

I did Timberman last month and was planning to go Aquavelo, but decided to start the run and go a couple of miles as a cool down. But coming off an okay bike and being in the front wave, I wanted to see what could be done. Two miles into, I knew it was a mistake. Fighting the pride of my first DNF, I did a walk run for 5 miles and then was caught by Scott Baldwin and decided to run with him back to the end of the first loop. Of course, we came through the crowds and the adrenaline took over. I finally pulled myself over and sat down and took my shoes off for 5 minutes. At mile 7, I would begin to walk it in and take the DNF. It hurt mentally more than physically to quit. I had no business being out there on the run course.

So I got back home and continued with the ART therapy, things got better the pain was moving the foot was loosening up and the World Champs were closely approaching.

I am not a contender, so there was no pressure to go faster than my limits. I figured to go out and have a PR swim and hammer the bike then maybe walk run the last 10k just for the medal and the pride of doing first Reston Triathlon. The weather projections started coming out on Hanna and would this cancel the race or mean a duathlon. I wasn't sure what I would do with if it was a duathlon because this would force me to run if I wanted to bike. I decided I could muster the 2.5 miles of running at the start and quit after the bike. I've never done duathlon, so it would be fun to at least go through the initial strategies and fast transitions.

The Baldwins and I arrived early at the school and was maybe the second or fifth car in the parking lot with the Ortons. We set up transition, drank coffee, got marked and shot the bull waiting for the start. It's always a "homecoming" event it seems at this race and that adds to the specialness of this event. Everyone knows everyone, and everyone is supportive and engaging. Unlike the typical race where all you do is look at each other like a bar brawl is about to break out.

I had minimal gear in transition and it was great to keep things simple, as a key goal other than a sub-60 bike was to have the fastest transitions. My shoes were locked and loaded on the pedals with only a helmet and glasses to deal with in the process of grabbing the bike. We headed down to the track around 6:30 to do a warm up and get lined up. It would also be a check to see how the foot felt. It was okay but a little tender and enough to remind me not to push things beyond 3 miles of total running.

Run+T1 = 16:36 (62 overall male):
We all gathered in wave 1 and all I could think about is that I am going to get run over by the herd because I don't I'll run faster than a 8 minute pace. But, you have to look good on the track and in front of all the spectators. The half lap on the track was fast like track practice and the first mile was super fast. Oh well, the foot felt okay and it was nice to go fast running out of control on the trails of Reston. I made it to the turnaround and felt really good even though my heart rate was 110% given I have no run volume over the last 60 days (maybe 12 total miles). Just get to the bike and stick to the plan is the goal. With T1 time included and not really having a good feel for the distance, I am not sure of my pace but it was definitely "fast" for my current condition.

Bike = 1:01:40 Avg Speed = ~23mph Avg Power = 270w Heart Rate = 166 bpm (22 overall):
I came out of T1 ready to go for it. However, my glasses were fogged so in transition I stuffed them into my top only for it to pop out after I mounted the bike. By the time I stopped they were ten feet back and someone went to grab them for me, as an official said "no outside assistance". I scooted back and picked them off the ground and really made sure they were in my shirt this time. I got out on Seahawk and slid my feet into my shoes and adjusted the strapped. I didn't let the dropped glasses bother me, as I was out to enjoy the day and push myself and stay within myself. At this point, the heart rate is over 170bpm and I want to get a true threshold test on the power meet out of this bike give it is about a 40km route/1 hour workbout. I needed to get the heart rate down in the 160's if I am going to survive this ride and not puke. It took the first lap and 20 minutes to get there.

Bike traffic wasn't too bad until Lawyers road of the first lap then it was all bets off for the rest of the ride. I have to say blocking is a more common violation than drafting on this course. I can understand on Glade why drafting or blocking could be called with all the debris from the previous day and a narrow coned off lane, but on Lawyers and South Lakes there's enough room to pass and duck back to the right. Early on, I had to deal with getting people to the right. Then I was trapped at another point only to have someone pass me on the right and split other people that were holding a group of us up including the female leaders.

I knew this was just controlled chaos and was glad I put some time in this year on the RBC rides learning to dodge erratic traffic. The closet call I had that really messed things up and almost took down a group of us was coming down Colts Neck to Glade. Someone decided to hit the brakes coming down the hill and attempt a right turn onto Glade without warning. All momentum was lost and I just went ahead just sat up and counted 10. After the scare of going down was subsided, I tucked back in and made it to South Lakes and just let the hammer drop from Soapstone back down to Glade. I would take the same approach each lap and would really make it hurt on the final run into T2.

Each lap would become progressively more crowded as expected, so it was time to keep safety as a priority and balance that with speed. I didn't mind backing off just little to get a drink when things were crowding especially heading up the rollers of Glade. After the last run down Colts Neck it was time to make it burn since this was the end of my race. It felt SO good to really hurt on the bike for a change this year after doing mostly long course events. I figured hit the transition as fast as you can and then do a two mile cool down run to the Girl Scouts and back. Three of us came in together on Ridge Heights and we all complemented each other on our efforts and motivated for the run. I slid my feet out and dropped back and cruised down the small hill into transition and dismounted without issue.

T2 = 0:31 (1st overall*):
I had everything visualized and only needed to ditch the helmet and put on my shoes and get out. Kevin Baldwin told me Craig Ellis was a minute ahead, so I stupidly decided I should try to catch him since he was contemplating and easy run after Louisville.
*Dave may argue he gets the titel as he finished the race

Run: DNF (last place overall):
Upon further analysis, I was very pleased to find out I started the run in 19th position. For having a few depressing months with little training in general, this gives me a spark for 2009.

I made it through the initial hills on the way to the tunnel of South Lakes and began to rationalize my stupidity of running hard, so I dialed it back and started a jog. In my mind, I was debating whether to finish for the medal or start walking back to watch the finish. By the new wooden bridge, I pulled off and made the decision to head back before I was too far out to make it back in time. People were asking if I was okay and I let them know that I wasn't planning the run and would cheer them along. I enjoyed the walk back telling everyone to push it, make it burn, you look great, keep going, etc. It was good to be a racer and a spectator all in the same event.

I made it back to the finish and got to see Sevier win and helped Mary Beth and Julie announce who the next person was entering the track. It was a great day, a very well produced event and there were great times with everyone on what ended up being a beautiful Sunday in Reston.

As a consolation at the post race party, I took second* place in the beer mile by 2 seconds behind Scott.
* Mike Sevier had to take his wife to the airport or I would have been third by several minutes.